Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus woes?
Hey all. Been a lonnnnng time since I've been here, but here I am. I'm having an issue so I figured I'd try here.

We have a 2001 Ford Focus SE, four door sedan, Zetec 2.0L five-speed, blah blah blah. 98,000 miles. NEVER ONE SINGLE PROBLEM. The car has been more reliable than the sun. Until lately.

Driving it home from Seattle a few weeks ago (about a 35 mile drive) I felt that it was starting to feel a little rough, reminding me of what it felt like when an old carbureted vehicle loaded up. I went to hit the clutch and when I did, it had no desire whatsoever to idle. It just dropped to a standstill and the engine shut down. No check engine light, nothing. If life had a WTF meter, it would've been pegged.

Anyway, I pulled over and the car restarted. Normally the car can be restarted just by breathing on the ignition but it took a little bit. Once it restarted, it felt fine. I kept going and didn't think much about it. Next stop sign, the car died again. Same thing. Wash, rinse and repeat this like six times.

After the last time, which happened while I was upshifting during a normal cruise (this would've happened through all gears if I didn't jam the shifter around pretty quick), the car accelerated pretty sharply all of it's own accord, and then everything went back to normal. The car drove fine the rest of the way home.

This whole situation has happened three or four times now. I've called around to people, called dealerships, and nobody says ANYTHING about it. No lights lit up on the dash, and I also scanned the car for codes, for which there were none.

I'm totally confused now, this is really annoying that my most reliable car is doing this now. Is there something I can be missin here? Anything any one can offer would be absolutely awesome. Thanks everyone.
Huh, Do you ever listen to "Car Talk" on public radio? See if you can get a call through to them.
Sounds like a cam or crank sensor to me but that's through internet diagnosis
1998 BMW 328i 5 speed

H&R Touring kit 1.5" front and 1" rear

ASA AR2 17x8 and 17x9

Yokohama S Drives 225/45R17 and 245/40R17

Quote:Oh thank you Tanner-boss.

Quote:No i bend over quite often and take it like a man too. :lol:
Good Morning Heather! :wave:
Ace,

Long time no see. Do you still frequent LOL?

Dealerships never want to help anyone it seems, have you checked to see if there are any TSB's on this.
97 LSC - blk/blk, Sniper Tuned, 13"cobra brakes, 05+ staggered saleen wheels, hubswapped, kybs, ss shock mounts, ss brake lines, JMOD, 4.10s, eaton truetrac, 8000k hid's, spider valve v3, x pipe, 3rd cat deleted, lms muffs, air silencer delete, k&n, 160* Tstat & MUCH More.
Quote:Good Morning Heather! :wave:

....:wtf:
2008 Mustang GT

Acquired 3-11-08 with 4 Miles

Best ET, 13.4 @ 105.04 Mph Almost stock!

2.1 sec 60 FT

New mods:

JLT tune/CAI

Steeda Tri-ax STS

1991 Lincoln town car

Acquired 1-22-09

1992 Lincoln town car (given to dad)

104k Acquired 8-24-08
Hey - was it raining when you where driving? There's a TSB for engine running rough when wet - and it Does NOT have to be setting a code.

If you're not sure - take the car to a car wash (Good excuse!) And pay attention to it. TSB 03-15-2 should help ya out (That's the REF# That I get Wink)

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=23190&stc=1&d=1181001955]
Babies stay on the bottle, real men get blown! :dunce:
Found another one - and I don't think you'll like this one...Sad

[Image: attachment.php?attachmentid=23191&stc=1&d=1181002171]
Babies stay on the bottle, real men get blown! :dunce:
Ooh, I don't think I like that last one. It was dry when this has been happening in all times but one. I don't think it's moisture related, but I'll surely check.

The PCM though. Ugh. Just out of curiousity, do you have the figures that went with that, SVT? That would be awesome. I know where the PCM is, I just don't know where I would take it to get reprogrammed (or what the hell that would cost, probably more then the car is worth.) Still, what you have is absolutely perfect. Thank you so much for digging that up. I tried looking through TSBs, but I guess I skipped that one? Figures. Thanks again!

Lux, I haven't been in LoL frequently in a long, long time. I still swing on from time to time but I don't really troll much like I used to. Doesn't mean I don't miss it though. Sad
Some auto stores and every ford dealership can reflash your PCM. Sometimes, when a problem like this is discovered a reflash is the fix. If its covered by a TSB it should be NO CHARGE to you if you take it to the dealership (not sure how the warranty works :dunno: ..even if they dont cover it, its not that much to get a reflash) They are constantly updating vehicles and the controls for the PCM for better economy and conditions like this. Check it out.
97 LSC - blk/blk, Sniper Tuned, 13"cobra brakes, 05+ staggered saleen wheels, hubswapped, kybs, ss shock mounts, ss brake lines, JMOD, 4.10s, eaton truetrac, 8000k hid's, spider valve v3, x pipe, 3rd cat deleted, lms muffs, air silencer delete, k&n, 160* Tstat & MUCH More.