Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wiper Question
An '89 Buick LeSabre. Once in a while wipers will stay on & not shut off when switch is turned off. Keep going @ slow speed. Last time they were working in the interval mode when suddenly went to regular slow speed & wouldn't shut off. Finally turned it to Hi & back & they went off.

Not familiar w/ these cars. Anyone have an answer? The column switch is a bear to remove on GM. Am I most likely looking for a switch problem, or a motor problem? Is there a "black box" somewhere that controls the interval sequence that might be bad?

Don't just want to throw $ at it. Afraid that one day they won't shut off @ all. car has no air bag BTW. Thanks.
Sorry I can't help you. But, you could always rig up a switch from the motor under the hood to a toggle put somewhere under the dash. You would only have one speed after that though.
Quote:An '89 Buick LeSabre. Once in a while wipers will stay on & not shut off when switch is turned off. Keep going @ slow speed. Last time they were working in the interval mode when suddenly went to regular slow speed & wouldn't shut off. Finally turned it to Hi & back & they went off.

Not familiar w/ these cars. Anyone have an answer? The column switch is a bear to remove on GM. Am I most likely looking for a switch problem, or a motor problem? Is there a "black box" somewhere that controls the interval sequence that might be bad?

Don't just want to throw $ at it. Afraid that one day they won't shut off @ all. car has no air bag BTW. Thanks.

Its definetly a switch or relay issue. IF the power was being cut, the motor would quit.
[Image: fdbf8ac4.jpg]

for info on my vehicles check out my website

If you'd like a place to post a blog about your motorsports project, PM me for details.
There is a printed circuitboard that attaches directly to the wiper motor. These are notorious for going bad and are very easy to change. It has been a few years since I had to buy one but seems to me they were around $50.
If you're gonna build it, make it fast!

[Image: 1fast79_banner.gif]
It sounds like the park relay is bad in the wiper motor. Pretty common deal with old wiper motors. Try getting a new wiper circuit board like 1fast79 said. if its unavailable, youll have to get the whole rebuilt motor assembly.
ASE Master Tech with 15 years experience

Daily Driver: 1994 GMC Sonoma, Extended Cab, 2WD, with the 4.3 V6 Vortec.
Future plans/projects: Finishing that darn 64 Malibu SS