Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fish eyes, paint contamination
So I want to clean up all the door jambs and area. I sanded everything down, cleaned it all up with carb cleaner and gas (didn't have any paint thinner). Anyway I painted the areas but there are plenty of fish eyes on the rocker panel. I guess there is some armour-all on there. Sad I'll sand it all down AGAIN and this time buy some paint thinner to clean it all up again. Confusedoapbox: Anything else I should do? I want this to be nicely detailed (I even took off the wire boot on the door to clean and armour-all lol

thanks, I hope there's a trick to removing fish eyes Sad
Working on a new site: http://youpaidwhat.us

:banana:
You = moron. Big Grin

Carb cleaner and gas???? Are you serious? Dude, buck up, go to Le Home Depot, or Au Lowes, or what you canadians have for a hardware store, by a can of lacquer thinner, or better yet go by a can of wax and grease remover, some lint free rags, and some tack rags, and do it right.

Never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time and money to do it over. You have to wipe the entire area affected by the fish eyes, and then sand them out, wipe again, then shoot it again.

If you just try to sand them out, you will push the contanimants into the paint, wind up with even more defects the next time you shoot the area.

Repeat after me. Wipe. Sand. Wipe. Tack. Shoot.

DOOO EEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!
1993 Mark VIII daily driver.

1998 Chevy Silverado. RMZ Ferry.

Project Bronco II....87 Bronco II 4x4 James Duff 3" Suspension lift

Centerforce II Clutch

James Duff 2" Body Lift

Duff Pre-Runner Bumpers

Long Link Radius Arms

Long link Traction Bars

DANA 35

Ford 8.8

American Racing AR 61's

BFG ATKO 31x10.5's

New Paint.

5.0 Swap with a T5, coming soon....

RIP !!!! I'll mis her...1990 LSC 198,000+ miles when sold.

51 Ford F1 Pickup. - Street Rod, someday, it will be done.
wipe, sand, wipe, tack shoot...

kay.. Big Grin

Remember, all paint work is dictated by the prep work. Shitty prep = shitty paint, period.

Spend the time where it counts, prep, and you'll get better, more acceptable results.

Centerforce II Clutch

James Duff 2" Body Lift

Duff Pre-Runner Bumpers

Long Link Radius Arms

Long link Traction Bars

DANA 35

Ford 8.8

American Racing AR 61's

BFG ATKO 31x10.5's

New Paint.

Another thing. When you wipe the first time, give it about 10 or 15 minutes or so to give the solvents you just put on the panel enough time to evaporate. Sometimes, incompatible paint / cleaning solvent combinations will soften the paint, resulting in a big mess when it comes time to sand the area, you'll wind up with clogged paper, smeary panels, and it's a pita.

Lacquer thinner will work in a pinch, provided it you use it sparingly, but to do it correctly, go get a can of prepsol, or wax and grease remover.

Centerforce II Clutch

James Duff 2" Body Lift

Duff Pre-Runner Bumpers

Long Link Radius Arms

Long link Traction Bars

DANA 35

Ford 8.8

American Racing AR 61's

BFG ATKO 31x10.5's

New Paint.

Find an actual paint suppy store that sells quality pain like PPG or DuPont and get a prep-sol or final clean type product. These are made from the cleanest solvents as to leave no residue behind to contaminate your paint job. Also buy a pint of "fish eye eliminator" use a very small amount in your paint mix to further eliminate any chance.
If you're gonna build it, make it fast!

[Image: 1fast79_banner.gif]
lots of info... thanks guys

thanks for the tips, it worked out pretty good. I'll do some wet sanding and polishing for a perfect job Smile

Quote:thanks for the tips, it worked out pretty good. I'll do some wet sanding and polishing for a perfect job Smile

Color sand, rubbing compound, wax. In that order.
Quote:Color sand, rubbing compound, wax. In that order.

Repeat after him. lol