Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car Cover Question
I ordered a Cover Craft cover from ajusa.com last year for my 83 Cutlass . Even though the price tag was a bit hefty it did a great job of protecting the car year round from snow to tree debris .

Unlike the Cutlass which is basically a glorified lawn ornament I've gotten into a dillemma with the LSC . I'd like to order a cover that will get her threw the winter since I don't have the time this year to build a garage.

ajusa.com is who I'm most likely going to order from again . They do have a pretty large selection of covers to choose from . I'm at a bit of a loss when it comes to Nomex lining, reflective treatments, and stitching.

Also I've heard of people putting blankets between the car and cover to protect from scratching etc.

The Cutlass needs work so any visual blemishes from the cover (which I didn't see) are secondary . I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I ruined the paint job on this LSC .

Advice ?

cheers
Edward's

1987 Lincoln SVPU LSC R -#001

SVPU Build Sheet

Car Domain
It's been 20 years since I had an Evolution III fabirc (Kimberly-Clarke material) breathable cover, so I'm out of touch with what the best ones are right now. However, they have Evolution IV fabric now, and I hear good things about Noah material too.

So many companies sell them and re-brand them, but as long as you get the better quality material you'll probably be fine. I can tell you that you will probably only "get what you pay" for in the case of car covers, so spend a little more on your LSC.

Aside from that general advice, maybe someone here has purchased one over the last few years and can offer better experience & opinions.
[Image: xstorquesig.jpg]
I got my WeatherShield cover (Covercraft fabric comapny I think) car cover from Big Sky Car Cover Outlet for $350 or something like that with a lock and custom bag. It's thin and light and can be easily stowed or washed. The material causes water to bead up on it and roll off. It's been through one winter and it did a great job of keeping the car ice and snow free. The other fabric is the NOAH cover from Kimberly Clarke. It's thicker and I am not sure if it will fit in a standard washer. I went with the WeatherShield because it is slightly better at water protection and I was worried about that most since my car will sit through the winter and will have snow/ice accumulation that melts in spring. The ability to wash it in a home washer was also a plus. Because of how thin it is, I lost some minor dent/ding protection over the 4 layer NOAH cover. My cover seems like it's good quality and it fits well. I just use foam blocks with cut outs around the fog light brackets and antenna so that there are no hard objects that could rip the cover.

Edit: I didn't know I dropped that much on that cover. Damn! I gotta find the receipt. I don't think I paid that much, at least I hope I didn't. I'm happy with it though.

If weather is your concern, you're shopping between the NOAH and the Weathershield.
1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, Light Titanium Pearl

1986 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, Medium Graphite

1985 Lincoln Continental, Burgundy

2001 BMW 540i/6, Jet Black

FIRST Robotics

LincolnsOnline: Nick
how about a decent cover and a tarp???

i know i sound a little cheap....but wouldnt that do the same?

(besides an autobag)
2008 Mustang GT

Acquired 3-11-08 with 4 Miles

Best ET, 13.4 @ 105.04 Mph Almost stock!

2.1 sec 60 FT

New mods:

JLT tune/CAI

Steeda Tri-ax STS

1991 Lincoln town car

Acquired 1-22-09

1992 Lincoln town car (given to dad)

104k Acquired 8-24-08
Quote:how about a decent cover and a tarp???

i know i sound a little cheap....but wouldnt that do the same?

(besides an autobag)

A tarp will scratch the hell out of your car. I'd reserve it for a parts car with a bad paint job. You want the cover to fit fairly close or as close as possible so there isn't movement. If it flaps in the wind, it'll start rubbing whatever is trapped under the cover on the paint. I'm not sure what a decent cover will get you. I guess you still have to worry about scratches, breathability, protection, and durability. With the tarp over a cover, you have water protection, but it won't breathe. You're also paying for UV potection. I got a cheapo one for my Continental but I only used it for a little while. I'm not sure I trust it. I'm thinking of upgrading to a slightly better one. Costco has some universal fit Block It cover for $40. It seems pretty nice, much nicer than my similarly priced or $10 less cover I got. I think the price of good covers also goes toward the warranty. The good ones are warrantied for 3-4 years. I think my cheapy had a 20 or 90 day warranty.

1986 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, Medium Graphite

1985 Lincoln Continental, Burgundy

2001 BMW 540i/6, Jet Black

FIRST Robotics

LincolnsOnline: Nick
ND4SPDLSC ,

I comepletely agree with you . The Covercraft Weathershield covers get my stamp of approval . Two years ago while getting my white Cutlass ready for an extended stay outside I ordered the Weathershield HD . Just recently pulled it off to clean the car and cover and noticed no surface scratches on the car at all , with no moisture trapping .

Covercraft has raised their prices though . I happened to have the cover receipt saved in my inbox and noticed the price I paid 2 years ago was $285 , price as of last week for the same cover is $427 Wink yikes !

For my LSC I'm going to go with the NOAH Best fit . Go to carcoverworld.com they actually give you a side by side comparison of each cover they offer . The NOAH best fit besides the slight texure/material difference is right up there with the HD . Only difference is that the NOAH is almost half the price . I think I might give it a shot on the LSC .

cheers and happy hunting .
Edward's

1987 Lincoln SVPU LSC R -#001

SVPU Build Sheet

Car Domain