Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head Unit Opinions?
So I've slowly been upgrading the system in the Mark VIII and now I feel it's time for a new head unit. Right now I've got a Kenwood KDC-222, 45x4 peak power that came with the car, and I like it, but with my subs I've got now, I'd like to have a head unit with sub-output controls, and while I'm at it, I want one that looks better.

Now here's the tricky part. I'm looking for a head unit with a CD player in the $200-400 range or so that sounds good, looks good, and has sub-output controls (which most of the new CD players I've seen in that price range do now), and it's gotta be single DIN. Anyway, just wondering what brands or models you guys like and what you don't. Personally, I used to like Sony for their features and displays. Several years ago, a friend of mine had a Sony CDX-M630 that was really nice- it sounded good, had nice displays, and took alot of abuse and never had any problems. I've heard alot of bad things about Sony's head unit quality in the past few years, so that makes me kinda apprehensive though. After having this Kenwood for a while now, I've really grown to respect their quality and I'd consider buying another Kenwood if I found one that matched my criteria. Anyway, just looking to see what kind of head units you guys have had success with and what bad brands I should maybe look out for.
1996 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas, champagne with cream interior.

1993 Lincoln Mark VIII, black with black leather interior, air silencer+resonator removal, K&N filter panel, Flowmaster Super 40 exhaust system, Cross-drilled and slotted rotors, custom driving lights, Kenwood CD player with Infinity 6x8's and 2 Infinity 12's powered by a Sony amp.

1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV, 460 V-8, C6 Transmission, slightly customized, more to come

1994 Honda Accord, JDM H22A DOHC VTEC motor swap, Skunk2 Stage 2 cams, titanium valvetrain, flat top pistons, CAI, Dyno'ed 211 hp to the wheels, quick little rice-burner I bought cause it was cheap
I'm a big Pioneer fan. I'm currently using a DEH-7600. That was last years model though. Now I think they have the DEH-6900. Bascially the same HU with different numbers. It has seperate sub controls and can control an ipod with the right adapter. I've seen them for about $270.
2001 yeller Cobra, Ford GT fuel pumps, 80lb injectors, Bassani X-pipe, Borla Stingers, 323 Big Bore Stroker, T-56, Procharger F1A
I just got the Pioneer deh p680mp . its an mp3 cd. 50 watts per channel peak , motorized face and 3 outputs (front , rear and sub ). I got it at Sixthave.com. Looks good, sounds even better .comes with remote too . Paid 191.00 delivered .Actually i ordered the 6800mp , but they sent me the Premier model instead (2 yr warranty and 4 volt remote output).for the same price .Im using the unit with Infinity 6 1/2 components in the front, Cerwin Vega 6 x9 in the back and a Cerwin Vega Vmax 10inch sub mounted in a tube powered by an MTX 3002 Amp. I am extremely happy with my setup.
:dunno:
I'm a really big fan of the Alpine head units. I just got the CDM-9857. It's an MP3, WMA, HD ready radio, Ipod ready head unit. It's rated at 50 x 4 with 18 watt RMS. It has the bio-lite display which is much more clear than normal pixelated displays. It has customization out the ass and you can fine tune this thing to your heart's content. I got it for $330 at Best Buy and they threw in a free Ipod connector cable.
1998 BMW 328i 5 speed

H&R Touring kit 1.5" front and 1" rear

ASA AR2 17x8 and 17x9

Yokohama S Drives 225/45R17 and 245/40R17

Quote:Oh thank you Tanner-boss.

Quote:No i bend over quite often and take it like a man too. :lol:
I LOVE Kenwoods, Ive always own them, Ive had my current one for about a year and some change, plays mp3s, wwa, sirius, has a crossover for the subs, can change color, etc...but if you not a Kenwood fan I recommend Alpine, Pionner (low end models are decent to) Eclipse are kick ass head units also.
[Image: sig.jpg]

[URL="http://www.cardomain.com/id/lincolnlsc21man"]My Rides[/URL]
I like Pioneer for the money. I like Alpine better. I have had a few of both. The Alpine I have now I got for $180 plays mp3 has 3 pre outs(one for suns with level control and i think crossover) sat radio compatible etc. Eclipse is the shit though for CD signal to noise ratio.
06 LS

97 Mark VIII [SIZE="1"]3500 stall, 4.10s, Trac lok, Xcal[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]

96 Crown Vic P71(sold)

88 LSC (sold back in Cali)[/SIZE]
I just bought another Clarion. I have had Clarion H.U.'s for the past 10 years. Been real happy with them. I got a DXZ665MP motorized face and dot matrix screen. It has great sound quality.
Drivin' fast makes me feel good, the speed of light trapped under my hood. :headbang:

Floats like a Cadillac...Stings like a Beemer!
I've got a couple of Alpines, both great units. They offer good sound even without an external amp and have lots of control.
[Image: Sig15.jpg]

1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC | 1985 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3 | 1995 Ford Mustang GT | 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel | 2003 Ford Focus SVT
I'm another Alpine fan. I bought the CDM-9833 and I have an older model that was about $200 when new. They've been very nice. The newer one has a "high power" internal amp, but I use an external amp with more juice. It has a nice internal amp shut off feature that not all other head units have. You could get the thing from an online seller like etronics.com and save. I do wish I sprung for the Biolite display though.
1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, Light Titanium Pearl

1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, Light Titanium Pearl

1986 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, Medium Graphite

1985 Lincoln Continental, Burgundy

2001 BMW 540i/6, Jet Black

FIRST Robotics

LincolnsOnline: Nick
Quote:I'm another Alpine fan. I bought the CDM-9833 and I have an older model that was about $200 when new. They've been very nice. The newer one has a "high power" internal amp, but I use an external amp with more juice. It has a nice internal amp shut off feature that not all other head units have. You could get the thing from an online seller like etronics.com and save. I do wish I sprung for the Biolite display though.

The Biolite display is vewwy, vewwy nice
1998 BMW 328i 5 speed

H&R Touring kit 1.5" front and 1" rear

ASA AR2 17x8 and 17x9

Yokohama S Drives 225/45R17 and 245/40R17

Quote:Oh thank you Tanner-boss.

Quote:No i bend over quite often and take it like a man too. :lol: