Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker reccomendations, 6x9 and 6 1/2 or 6 3/4
All right, I have the system in the Lincoln and it's smokin. Nice Kenwood amp, don't know the power but it's plenty and clean. I have sweet sounding Polk Audio 6x9's from about 5 years ago (or longer) mounted in the back, very powerful and sweet. Reading people's reviews, it seems like Polk Audio car speakers have a tendency to blow the tweeters after a few months, and this is no good. So, I plan to pop them into my daily driver (6x9's are the worst available on the earth, even the stock head unit makes em break up and pop) and put some super bad 6x9's in. Have to be clean, durable with lots of bass. I hope some of you guys can share your experience here. What are we talking about, Cerwin-Vega, MB Quart, or what? And how about some front speakers? Gotts be clean and give good stereo imaging. I have an adjustable high pass crossover installed already, it's set at 80 Hz with the stock JBL fronts. Let's hear it. Thanks.
MB Quartz are definitely good speakers. If I were to redo a stereo and wasn't wanting to spend a fortune, I'd either get those or I'd get some Inifinity speakers. Whatever you do, make sure that you get a component set and you get a good amp. Distortion is more likely to come from a lack of power rather than having too much. Keep that in mind if you really decide you want to push the stereo because a good set of speakers will suck the life out of a head unit's amplifier and you won't get the best possible sound.
1998 BMW 328i 5 speed

H&R Touring kit 1.5" front and 1" rear

ASA AR2 17x8 and 17x9

Yokohama S Drives 225/45R17 and 245/40R17

Quote:Oh thank you Tanner-boss.

Quote:No i bend over quite often and take it like a man too. :lol:
MB Quarts are good shit. Dont know how much you want to spend but if you dont mind dropping some cash check out a/d/s. I also had JBL 6.5s in the Linc they were coax with seperate crossovers. There good mid level stuff. Infinitys are real close to JBL(both are made by Harmon Kardon). I dont care for Polk Audio.
06 LS

97 Mark VIII [SIZE="1"]3500 stall, 4.10s, Trac lok, Xcal[/SIZE][SIZE="1"]

96 Crown Vic P71(sold)

88 LSC (sold back in Cali)[/SIZE]
Thanks guys. I have lots of clean power already and am aware that distortion cooks speakers.
Infinity is better than what JBL has. I love their home audio stuff. I would go with them, MB Quart, or JL Audio. Try listening to them. What sounds good to one of us may not to you.
1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, Light Titanium Pearl

1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, Light Titanium Pearl

1986 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, Medium Graphite

1985 Lincoln Continental, Burgundy

2001 BMW 540i/6, Jet Black

FIRST Robotics

LincolnsOnline: Nick
Quote:Thanks guys. I have lots of clean power already and am aware that distortion cooks speakers.

A lot of people know that distortion destroys speakers but a lot of people don't realize that it's from trying to push a speaker with too little power. Even if you knew that I'm sure someone on here didn't know that.
1998 BMW 328i 5 speed

H&R Touring kit 1.5" front and 1" rear

ASA AR2 17x8 and 17x9

Yokohama S Drives 225/45R17 and 245/40R17

Quote:Oh thank you Tanner-boss.

Quote:No i bend over quite often and take it like a man too. :lol:
Quote:Infinity is better than what JBL has. I love their home audio stuff. I would go with them, MB Quart, or JL Audio. Try listening to them. What sounds good to one of us may not to you.

True. I'm liking the system a lot. Those Pold Audio speakers are clean and accurate. Lots of bass with no boom or hangover. For example, bass drum sounds realistic and powerful. I like that better than the boom, boom, boom of a subwoofer. However, a large part of my concern is durability. The system is so loud and clear now, I want it to stay that way.
i have the cerwin vegas it 693 6x9 in the rear of my mark .for the money , they sound great , good clean bass . they are 200 watts peak each so u can drive them them pretty hard .
:dunno:
I like Alpine stuff. My Mark VIII has an Alpine amp pushing my 5x7 Type-R components (in the front and rear) and offers very clear sound. It does lack a little when it comes to the lows, but I plan on adding a couple of 10" subs later on.
[Image: Sig15.jpg]

1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC | 1985 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.3 | 1995 Ford Mustang GT | 1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Diesel | 2003 Ford Focus SVT
Diamond Audio speakers and amplifiers. :drool:

Crystal clear quality all the way through full volume without harmonic distortion when coupled with a Diamond amp...but don't forget your wallet!

$$$$!
2000 Pontaic Grand Prix GTP

[Image: gptm7.jpg]