Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stock steering shaft??
I need to fix my steering shaft on my 90se is there a stock replacement available??? Searched a few topics on it, but everything was about cars converted to sn95? are there parts available that bolt right on with no conversions??
What's broken?
I have one in a '90 LSC that you can have. You're talking about the part that passes through the firewall between the steering column and the rack, right?
W. V. Kelly
ThreepointsevenLSCs/zeropointthreeXJSs
yea mine has alot of play in it and just need one thats functioning properly! I took a picture of what the mechanic told me it was! I can move my wheel an inch either way and it wont move the wheels until it gets past that bit of play![Image: SAM_0514.jpg]
Is it the U-joint or the splines at fault? If its the splines I would just go with a maximum motorsport steering joint ($230), if the joint is at fault, you could probably have a new one installed for less than $100.

[url="http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=514_3_14"]http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=514_3_14[/url]

I thought they all had a rag joint to be honest. I didnt realize ford put a solid joint in anything.
1979 Mustang future SCCA and autocrosser

1986 SVO sold

1994 TBird freebie, daily driver. ice cold A/C

1987 S-10 $800 buy, 49k miles, everyone needs a truck

2008 Edge Wife's Ride

1991 Black Mark VII SE money pit

-Vortech V-1 8lb,70mm TB,73mm MAF,39lb Injectors,Cobra intake,GT40P's w/ comp cam springs,Trick Flow Stage 1 cam,cobra 1.7 Roller Rockers,Mac shorties,O/R H-Pipe,50 Series Flows,Pullies,Electric Fan,MSD BTM,K&N,Anderson PMS tuner,sn95 conversion,13" cobra brakes w. slotted rotors,TC Front Sway bar,KYB/Koni Shocks & Struts,poly bushings,TKO600,Centerforce,3.73's. hopefully ~400rwhp

best to date: [email protected] on 15 year old radials. Hoping for 12's on better tires...

TKO is in, waiting on sticky tires! That should break some shit!
So those steering shafts for a mustang 79-93 would bolt right on to stock car? NO sn95 conversions done to my car!!
Im not sure, it looks like the length has plently of adjustment and should work in that aspect. However I dont know if the splines are the same, if it were my money I wouldnt gamble on it. You might try calling MM and see if their tech guys can answer that question.

I did find a post simular to yours, but no follow up to let anyone know how it was fixed. ND4SPD posted that he is using a MM shaft on a '86 mark without issue. But the question is if the 90+ cars have the same splines as early marks.

[url="http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1650"]http://thelincolnmar...php?f=13&t=1650[/url]
1979 Mustang future SCCA and autocrosser

1986 SVO sold

1994 TBird freebie, daily driver. ice cold A/C

1987 S-10 $800 buy, 49k miles, everyone needs a truck

2008 Edge Wife's Ride

1991 Black Mark VII SE money pit

-Vortech V-1 8lb,70mm TB,73mm MAF,39lb Injectors,Cobra intake,GT40P's w/ comp cam springs,Trick Flow Stage 1 cam,cobra 1.7 Roller Rockers,Mac shorties,O/R H-Pipe,50 Series Flows,Pullies,Electric Fan,MSD BTM,K&N,Anderson PMS tuner,sn95 conversion,13" cobra brakes w. slotted rotors,TC Front Sway bar,KYB/Koni Shocks & Struts,poly bushings,TKO600,Centerforce,3.73's. hopefully ~400rwhp

best to date: [email protected] on 15 year old radials. Hoping for 12's on better tires...

TKO is in, waiting on sticky tires! That should break some shit!
yea i've been checking all over. I looked on ebay at 79-93 mustang steering shaft and to me it looked fairly close. I might just end up finding a junk yard part but then give it a couple years and ill be back to square one!
You can also rebuild the shaft if the U joints are good by replacing the rubber ring with a new one from Dorman. I did this on one of my cars.

That is the first photo I have seen of the rubber boot Ford installed to improve shaft life. This was an update to '90+ Mustangs. What does it cover on the other end?
1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, Light Titanium Pearl

1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, Light Titanium Pearl

1986 Lincoln Mark VII LSC, Medium Graphite

1985 Lincoln Continental, Burgundy

2001 BMW 540i/6, Jet Black

FIRST Robotics

LincolnsOnline: Nick
I found out today its the u-joint thats going bad! Can you replace just the u-joint?
had to park the car today! It was getting to loose and didnt wana have it fail while I was driving! Im gonna go ahead and pull the bad shaft out so I can see if I can get this one repaired!