Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3V 5.4 spark plug.
I would like to know what idiot thought up this stupid idea? Has anyone else had the pleasure of changing the plugs on a 3V Triton?
If you're gonna build it, make it fast!

[Image: 1fast79_banner.gif]
Ah, the lovely 3V tritons. :barf:

I will tell you the way I remove them and what to do when one breaks off.

First if at all possible, due an air induction service. Usually, I remove a vacuum line from the intake and run a piece of 5/32 hose into a can of Seafoam or similar. You have to keep the engine rev'd up and you may have to pinch the hose to keep the engine from stalling. Before you suck the can dry, shut the engine off and let it set 15 minutes. Start engine up and run out the rest of the cleaner. Let engine cool.

Remove your coils and spray penetrating oil in each spark plug tube. I break the plug loose just enough to unseat, then retighten. I do this several times while spraying them with oil. Then I try to remove them. I average a 70% sucess rate doing it this way.

If you break a plug, then you will need a spark plug extractor just for the 3V 5.4. This is the best one money can buy. It has never failed me so far. http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-LIS65600-Rem...dogpile-20
Follow the instructions with the tool and you will be able to remove them.

Have fun :drevil:
ASE Master Tech with 15 years experience

Daily Driver: 1994 GMC Sonoma, Extended Cab, 2WD, with the 4.3 V6 Vortec.
Future plans/projects: Finishing that darn 64 Malibu SS
Why would you ever want to remove them? "Old Blue" (pushrod 5.0) kept its original plugs until at 273,000 miles it got the AFR heads which required a flat seat plug (I was bummed because the plugs had at least another 200,000 miles in them). Isn't the mod engine an improvement on the old pushrod one?
W. V. Kelly
ThreepointsevenLSCs/zeropointthreeXJSs
LOL, lol you are funny W.V. an improvement he says. Well, if this was an old pushrod engine I would be done with the tune-up already and it wouldn't be costing the lady 600 bucks.

You spotted the tongue in cheek.
W. V. Kelly
ThreepointsevenLSCs/zeropointthreeXJSs
So finally, after about 10 hours of work....tune-up is done. I thought I was going to have to pull the heads for a minute. I started out using an extraction tool sold by NAPA and it pulled the threads it had cut in the spark plug tip. I borrowed a friends Snap-On extractor and with it you have to remove the porcelain from within the extension and then tap threads into the extension. Then you thread an extractor rod into the threads you just cut and pull out the insert. It was a major pain in the rear, but all is good now.