Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Capacitor
Got a question. What brand/size capacitors are good and which brands stay away from.

I need to add a Capacitor to my system since it looks like the car is gonna stall when I crank the stereo. I just added a second amp, so I have 1 MTX 300 watt running the JL 10's, and I have a Alpine 4 channel amp running the small speakers, I would guess at most the Alpine is 100 per channel.
I recommend Mr. Fusion.

Tongue
2008 Mustang GT

Acquired 3-11-08 with 4 Miles

Best ET, 13.4 @ 105.04 Mph Almost stock!

2.1 sec 60 FT

New mods:

JLT tune/CAI

Steeda Tri-ax STS

1991 Lincoln town car

Acquired 1-22-09

1992 Lincoln town car (given to dad)

104k Acquired 8-24-08
Seriously though, you can go for something cheap such as PYRAMID. They all pretty much do the same thing.

Or if cheap/no name isnt your thing, go for a Rockford, or i also believe MONSTER makes their own CAP.

PLUS, if you're not running 3 12's in your trunk, there is NO need for a cap, IMHO
2008 Mustang GT

Acquired 3-11-08 with 4 Miles

Best ET, 13.4 @ 105.04 Mph Almost stock!

2.1 sec 60 FT

New mods:

JLT tune/CAI

Steeda Tri-ax STS

1991 Lincoln town car

Acquired 1-22-09

1992 Lincoln town car (given to dad)

104k Acquired 8-24-08
boss
Steve McQueens got nothing on me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1990 MARK VII ., 347 stroker

5-speed

4:10 gears

pro mac chamber bx w/ dumps

BBK cai
If your cars almost going to stall, then you need to get a bigger alternator. A capacitor in the system will help buffer the current demand, however after a bass hit is over, you charging system is going to have to charge the capacitor. Your lights might not dim as much, but your alternator is going to be under just as much strain as before. Get the alternator replaced with a higher amp output unit.
Space for rent
Also, be sure that your not over extending the subs cone. I have seen countless people complain about their lights almost shutting off, then when I look in the truck they have the amps gain set so high that the subs are damn near bottoming/extending out. They can start to create a short in a way, that will draw crazy ammounts of power, thus causing your amp to damn near kill your charging system.
Space for rent
I have a Stinger 1 farad cap in my car, just to be safe. Only have a 300W amp with that 8" Kicker sub. ONly reason I run that is I got it brand new for 25 bucks. Big Grin
[Image: 550i-1.jpg]
my brother bought a tusnami wireing kit for 2 amps and it came with a 1.3? farid cap. 300 something dollar kit got it on ebay for 150
awesome cap, everythings simple hook ups, has volt display on it, and it runs his rockford amp like nothing. Usually has about 14.4 volts in it, and never drops below 14 when its running the car and system blasted. Did power his 12 inch P3 till he blew it(dumby cranked the freq), now it runs my two 10 inch polk DB's. Doesnt dim the lights a bit, and his car has a tiny alt. Helps that he has a optima yellow top battery.
Wireing kit was sweet too, underhood fuse block has a digital volt display, and wireing is top notch stuff.
proud owner of a 1988 Lincoln mark VII LSC

[Image: daboss351.jpg]

Mods: KYB GR2's up front, Grabriels out back, drilled rotors, mac 2 1/2 h pipe, mac CAI, ford racing wires, NGK plugs, and Royal Purple oil. More to come!
Quote:If your cars almost going to stall, then you need to get a bigger alternator. A capacitor in the system will help buffer the current demand, however after a bass hit is over, you charging system is going to have to charge the capacitor. Your lights might not dim as much, but your alternator is going to be under just as much strain as before. Get the alternator replaced with a higher amp output unit.

For some reason I would have thought my car had a decent amp alt from factory, but according to Autozone replacement part it says 110 amps, so I am going to check int Alt first. Another thing which looks interesting someone mentioned is called Batcap. Looks like might have some good power/reserve to it
People have this misconception that caps are a good thing for your system. While they will "help" a small bit they are not really the ideal solution. Capacitors store voltage and discharges it in a quick pulse, your amps really want more current/amperage. A second battery mounted in the trunk will be 10x better than a capacitor. Get a small Kinetik and install it by your amps. You install the second battery in the same fashion as a capacitor in regards to wiring. I don't even sell caps in our shop, it's all batteries that I sell to assist in current delivery.
----------------------------------------

88 Bill Blass

2 chamber Flowmaster mufflers.

92 LSC SE

Magnaflow Mufflers and 2 cat H-pipe, MAC Cold Air Induction, MSD 6AL Ignition, T/C Front Sway Bar, Addco #415G Rear.

http://www.westcoastlincolns.net

[Image: 1219234537.png]