Ford vs Chevy
Starter - Printable Version

+- Ford vs Chevy (https://fordvschevy.com)
+-- Forum: FvC Technical (https://fordvschevy.com/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: General Tech (https://fordvschevy.com/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Starter (/thread-15281.html)

Starter - Charlie - 03-26-2011

I have a 95 f-150. Eight months ago the starter went out. I took it to my local mechanic and he installed a "Rebuilt" starter. Lets face it rebuilt car parts are not rebuilt there just re painted. So, now my starter it going out again. I would like to buy new not rebuilt. I found a web site once that would sell me a new but, not rebuilt starter but, I forgot to book mark it and I lost the web page. Does anyone know where I could go on line to order a new starter and not some piece of crap that it only going to work for a few months???

Thank- you

Starter - 78oldscutlass455 - 03-26-2011

Most Aftermarket parts stores can get new starters. At work, I install only new starters if possible. Advance auto carries most of them in stock.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Starter-Remy-New_3180000-P_123_R|GRPSTRTAMS_538983469____

Edit:// If you haven't done so, Replace the starter solenoid (get the premium one) and check your cables for good power supply and grounds.

Starter - Charlie - 03-30-2011

You were right. One day the pickup would not start at all. Crawling underneath I found the starter was not installed tightly enough by the mechanic who put the replacement starter on it. It's a newer smaller starter then I'm used too and is only held on by two small bolts. (Doesn't look like a very good design to me) The bottom bolt was completely missing and the other one was loose. I had a friend hold the starter tight while I got it starter and home into the shop. There I found that the bolt closest to the top that was still kinda holding was now jammed and would not tighten or loosen. Afraid to break it off in the transmission housing I left it alone and this is how it will forever be. The lower bolt I was able to run a tap completely through the hole. Then I cut threads down far enough on a new longer bolt so that I was able to thread it not only into the transmission but, I was also able to put a locking nut on the back side keeping it good and tight. (I hope you kinda get what I mean because I did not explain that very well at all.) So, that's what I got now. The top bolt keeps the starter from moving sideways but, does not hold it tight to the tranny. The bottom bolt it both threaded into the tranny and has a lock nut on on it too. If this starter ever goes out I will be f**ked because the tranny housing will be shot and a 16 year old truck with 110000 miles on it is not worth enough to put a new tranny in. Pray for me that this starter holds up for the 3-4 years this truck has left in it.

Have a nice Day
Caveman Charlie

Starter - 78oldscutlass455 - 03-30-2011

(03-30-2011, 01:42 PM)Charlie link Wrote: You were right. One day the pickup would not start at all. Crawling underneath I found the starter was not installed tightly enough by the mechanic who put the replacement starter on it. It's a newer smaller starter then I'm used too and is only held on by two small bolts. (Doesn't look like a very good design to me) The bottom bolt was completely missing and the other one was loose. I had a friend hold the starter tight while I got it starter and home into the shop. There I found that the bolt closest to the top that was still kinda holding was now jammed and would not tighten or loosen. Afraid to break it off in the transmission housing I left it alone and this is how it will forever be. The lower bolt I was able to run a tap completely through the hole. Then I cut threads down far enough on a new longer bolt so that I was able to thread it not only into the transmission but, I was also able to put a locking nut on the back side keeping it good and tight. (I hope you kinda get what I mean because I did not explain that very well at all.) So, that's what I got now. The top bolt keeps the starter from moving sideways but, does not hold it tight to the tranny. The bottom bolt it both threaded into the tranny and has a lock nut on on it too. If this starter ever goes out I will be f**ked because the tranny housing will be shot and a 16 year old truck with 110000 miles on it is not worth enough to put a new tranny in. Pray for me that this starter holds up for the 3-4 years this truck has left in it.

Have a nice Day
Caveman Charlie
Sounds like you need a new mechanic. I would be mad as hell If I got my truck back like that. I dont know how the bolts got stripped, but there is always options to make a satisfactory repair. I probably would have drilled and heli-coiled the bolt holes.

Starter - Charlie - 03-30-2011

Ya, I'm kinda upset But, I've gotten used to it. There are only two mechanics in my small town. The one is very good but, very expensive. The other on is a nice guy but, he makes mistakes like this. I think the bolt holes got stripped because they were left loose and the movement of the starter every time I used it over the last eight months eventually wiggled the bolts to the point where the harder steel bolt stripped the threads in the aluminum transmission. I would drill the holes out if they made a drill bit that would drill around corners. :P Other wise there is not going to be enough room between the body of the truck and the transmission to get a drill. Back when I was in high school the school had a small 90 degree drill that held up to a 3/8 bit. But, I've never seen another one of them.